Section 245i

Can I adjust my status to permanent resident in the US using Section 245(i)?

Section 245i of the Immigration and Nationality Act may allow you to apply for adjustment of status to lawful permanent residence without leaving the US even if you entered the U.S. unlawfully or overstayed your immigration status. Instead of returning to your country to apply for a green card, you submit form I-485, pay the regular filing fee plus a $1,000 fine and get your green card in the US without having to worry about submitting an unlawful presence waiver.

Section 245iIn order to qualify under section 245i, you (or your parents while you were a minor) must have had a relative or an employer file a visa petition (forms I-130 and I-140) or a labor certification on the your behalf on or before April 30, 2001. If the visa petition or labor certification was filed between January 15, 1998 and April 30, 2001, there is an additional requirement that you be present in the U.S. on December 21, 2000, the day the final extension of section 245(i) was signed into law.


Client Reviews

Beyond Excellent!

“It is clear they are experts in the field which allowed me to sit back and relax knowing they would handle everything, which they did!”

- Nico Roseberg, Portland, Oregon
Read More Reviews

Skype Consultations Available!

Adjustment of Status under Section 245(i) is divided into the following subtopics:

General Information – Section 245i

Success Stories – Section 245i

section 245i

arvo rating shusterman law v2Best Lawyers in America Carl Shusterman Law
Super Lawyers Shusterman LawLexis Nexis Peer Review Rated Shusterman Law

What Can We Help You With - Videos

Senate Testimony
Green Cards Through Employment
Green Cards Through Marriage